Christmas Appeal 2022
Your support keeps women and children safe 365 days a year
Our annual Christmas Appeal, is asking you to support our front-line work with women and children experiencing domestic violence and abuse.
“Every year we see a surge in calls for help over December and January” Sinead Smith, General Manager, Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Services.
“It can be a really difficult time of year for families where there is violence or abuse at home and the feelings of isolation which are often heightened during the Christmas period with schools closed, services limited and access to your support network curtailed. Our helpline and refuge is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year so any woman that needs help can contact us. Donations are a vital part of keeping our services going for the women who need us.”
While Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Services receives State funding, the money raised this Christmas will contribute to money every year to pay for heating, electricity and maintenance of our building, as well as pay for additional supports like vouchers for food, new toys for children, food for our refuge facility, counselling for women and play and music therapy for children.
Aine Duff, current Miss Meath and Meath Women’s Refuge Ambassador is also supporting the appeal “I would ask everyone to consider making a Christmas donation. Much of the incredible work the charity does to keep women and children safe is never seen. The Christmas Appeal gives us all a chance to make sure women and children who need help are not left behind.”
Emma Duggan, Meath Ladies Football star, is also supporting the appeal this Christmas: “The stark reality is 1 in 4 women in Ireland have experienced abuse with a current or former partner so this is an issue that widely affects our community. Meath Women’s Refuge and Support Services provide vital one to one support for women trying to build a better life for themselves and their children.”
A Snapshot of Impact in 2021
- Provided crisis accommodation for 46 women.
- Worked with 454 women in the community including court accompaniment.
- Supported 92 children in refuge and in the community.
- 24-hour Helpline took a total of 1,684 referral calls.
- Provided 512 counselling sessions to 93 women.
- Provided 56 sessions of play and music therapy to 14 children.
What your gift can do
Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Services receive core funding from the State, but this doesn’t cover all costs and we need to raise donated funds every year to keep the doors open 365 days a year.
- The Gift of Food: €50 will pay for a grocery voucher for a family
- The Gift of Peace: €100 will fund two counselling sessions for a woman recovering from
- The Gift of Play: €250 will provide four sessions of play therapy for a child
- The Gift of Warmth: €435 will keep the lights on and heat the refuge for one week
How to donate
- You can donate online through PayPal or iDonate
- Post a cheque/postal order to: Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Services, 39 Flowerhill, Navan, Co. Meath
- We appreciate vouchers of any value (Supermarkets, Pharmacy, Clothes, Toy stores in
Meath) posted to us at the above address.
- We are grateful for donations of new Children’s Toys or Gift Bags for women. Please note, we cannot accept donations of food or second-hand items.
- If you have any questions on suitable items, please ring us on 046-9022393